|Years-Active||1996 (as The Portal), 1996-present|
|Genre(s)||Symphonic metal, symphonic rock, alternative rock|
|Label(s)||Universal Music, BMG, Nuclear Blast, Roadrunner|
|Associated Acts||Delain, [Ayreon]]|
Within Temptation is a Dutch symphonic metal/rock band founded in 1996 by vocalist Sharon den Adel and guitarist Robert Westerholt. Their music is described as symphonic metal, although their earlier material, such as Enter, was gothic metal. In an interview, den Adel said they fell into a symphonic rock genre with various influences. In a later interview with VOOR12, den Adel stated that "we consider ourselves more a symphonic rock band ... we are in my opinion no gothic band".
After the release of their first album Enter, the band became prominent in the Dutch underground scene. It was not until 2001 that they became known to the general public, with the single "Ice Queen" from the album Mother Earth, which reached No. 2 on the Dutch charts. Since then, the band won the Conamus Exportprijs four years in a row. Their next albums The Silent Force and The Heart of Everything debuted at No. 1 on the Dutch charts. In 2008, they released a live DVD and CD, Black Symphony, recorded with the Metropole Orchestra. This collection was followed in 2009 with An Acoustic Night at the Theatre.
The band's fifth studio album The Unforgiving, was released in March 2011, alongside both a comic book series and a series of short films that together encompass a story. The first single, "Faster", was released on January 21, and the first short film, Mother Maiden, was released on January 31. The band has sold more than 3 million copies worldwide.
On 13 November 2012, they celebrated their 15th year birthday with a huge live event, called Elements, at the Sportpaleis, Antwerpen.
Their sixth studio album, Hydra, will be released on January 21, 2014. The album features guest appearances from Tarja Turunen, who appears in the lead single "Paradise (What About Us?)", Howard Jones of Killswitch Engage, Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum and American rapper Xzibit.
- Current members
- Sharon den Adel – lead vocals (1996–present)
- Robert Westerholt – rhythm guitar, grunts (1996–present, studio only since 2011)
- Jeroen van Veen – bass (1996–present)
- Ruud Jolie – lead guitar (2001–present)
- Martijn Spierenburg – keyboards (2001–present)
- Mike Coolen – drums (2011–present)
- Stefan Helleblad - rhythm guitar (live), additional guitars (studio) (2011–present,)
- Former members
- Michiel Papenhove – lead guitar (1996–2001)
- Martijn Westerholt – keyboards (1996–2001)
- Dennis Leeflang – drums (1996)
- Richard Willemse – drums (1996)
- Ivar de Graaf – drums (1996–1998, 1999–2001)
- Marius van Pyreen – drums (1998)
- Ciro Palma – drums (1998–1999)
- Jelle Bakker – lead guitar (2001)
- Stephen van Haestregt – drums (2002–2010)
- Studio album
- Enter (1997)
- Mother Earth (2000)
- The Silent Force (2004)
- The Heart of Everything (2007)
- The Unforgiving (2011)
- Hydra (2014)
- Within Temptation. Official Biography. Archived from the original on August 13, 2007. Retrieved on 2007-05-12.
- Within Temptation at NME. Nme.com. Retrieved on 2010-04-15.
- Artists :: Within Temptation. MusicMight (2008-02-07). Retrieved on 2010-04-15.
- Sharpe-Young, "Metal: The Definitive Guide" (2007), p. 294
- Within Temptation at allmusic. Allmusic.com. Retrieved on 2010-04-15.
- Live Metal interview Within Temptation's Sharon den Adel: A second youth (2007-05-13). Retrieved on 2007-12-20.
- 3VOOR12 Interview – Within Temptation: muzikale vernieuwing als drijfveer (Template:Nl icon). 3voor12.vpro.nl (2008-12-03). Retrieved on 2010-04-15.
- Template:Dead link
- Conamus Exportprijs. Retrieved on 2007-05-12.
- Within Temptation. En.within-temptation.com. Retrieved on 2010-04-15.
- Faster & Mother Maiden short film. Within Temptation. Retrieved on 2011-08-20.
- Within Temptation @ De Wereld Draait Door (ENG SUB). YouTube (2011-08-11). Retrieved on 2011-08-20.
- Records, Roadrunner (2011-07-12). Within Temptation: 'The Unforgiving' Concept Album Coming March 2011. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved on 2013-11-13.