|Studio album by Alice in Chains|
|Released||August 21, 1990|
|Recorded||December 1989 - April 1990|
|Genre||Alternative metal, Heavy metal|
|Alice in Chains album chronology|
Facelift is the debut studio album by the American alternative metal band Alice in Chains. The album was released on August 21, 1990. The album was certified platinum and has gone on to be certified double-platinum by the RIAA for shipments of two million copies in the United States.
Release and receptionEdit
Facelift was released on August 21, 1990, peaking at number 42 in the summer of 1991 on the Billboard 200 chart. Facelift included the singles "We Die Young", "Man in the Box", and "Sea of Sorrow", all of which had accompanying music videos. The album was a critical success, with "Hollywood" Steve Huey of AllMusic citing Facelift as "one of the most important records in establishing an audience for grunge and alternative rock among hard rock and heavy metal listeners." It was also the first grunge album to reach the top 50 in America on the Billboard 200, the first to go platinum.
Facelift was not an instant success, selling under 40,000 copies in the first six months of release, until MTV added "Man in the Box" to regular daytime rotation. The single hit number 18 on the Mainstream Rock charts, with the album's follow up single, "Sea of Sorrow", reaching number 27, and in six weeks Facelift sold 400,000 copies in the US. Facelift was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America by the end of 1990. Alice in Chains was nominated for a Best Hard Rock Performance Grammy Award in 1992 for "Man in the Box", but lost to Van Halen for their 1991 album For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. The music video for "Man in the Box" was nominated for Best Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Video at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards.
All songs by Jerry Cantrell, except where noted.
|1.||"We Die Young"||2:32|
|2.||"Man in the Box"||Cantrell, Layne Staley||4:46|
|3.||"Sea of Sorrow"||5:49|
|4.||"Bleed the Freak"||4:01|
|5.||"I Can't Remember"||Cantrell, Staley||3:42|
|6.||"Love, Hate, Love"||Cantrell, Staley||6:26|
|7.||"It Ain't Like That"||Cantrell, Mike Starr, Sean Kinney||4:37|
|9.||"Put You Down"||3:16|
|10.||"Confusion"||Cantrell, Staley, Starr||5:44|
|11.||"I Know Somethin (Bout You)"||4:22|
|12.||"Real Thing"||Cantrell, Staley||4:03|
- Alice in Chains
- Layne Staley – lead vocals
- Jerry Cantrell – guitar, backing vocals, talkbox on "Man in the Box"
- Mike Starr – bass, backing vocals on "Confusion"
- Sean Kinney – drums, percussion, additional backing vocals, piano on "Sea of Sorrow"
- Additional personnel
- Kevin Shuss - Additional backing vocals
- Production and management
- Produced, recorded, and mixed by Dave Jerden
- Additional engineering by Ron Champagne
- Assistant engineering by Leslie Ann Jones
- Assistant mix engineering by Bob Lacivita
- Mastered by Eddy Schreyer
- Management – Kelly Curtis, Susan Silver
- A&R – Nick Terzo
- Product manager – Peter Fletcher
- ↑ Huey, Steve. Facelift - Alice in Chains. Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved on September 19, 2017.
- ↑ [[[:Template:BillboardURLbyName]] Alice in Chains - Artist chart History]. Billboard.com. Retrieved on 2007-11-09.
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Gill, Chris (September 1999). "Dirt". Guitar World.
- ↑ [[[:Template:BillboardURLbyName]] Singles]. Billboard.com. Retrieved on 2007-12-20.
- ↑ 34th Grammy Awards - 1992. Rockonthenet.com. Retrieved on 2007-12-08.
- ↑ 1991 MTV Video Music awards. Rockonthenet.com. Retrieved on 2007-12-08.
- ↑ Ozzy Osbourne's 10 Favorite Metal Albums. Rolling Stone (26 June 2017). Retrieved on 27 June 2017.